The other day a G2web client, Forrest Ward of www.ussuccesscenter.com, asked us, “Why don’t I see G2web blogging?” That is a good question…… and the answer is quite simple, “We don’t have time!”
Of course, we just thought we didn’t have the time, but the reality was that we were: 1. too scared, 2. intimidated, 3. too worried what others might think of our writing, 4. we might misprint information, 5. give away too many secrets to our competitors, 6. write something that might hurt our reputation, 7. it would be a waste of time, “no one would actually read OUR blogs”, 8. seriously wondering when we would find the time, 9. didn’t think it was the right time to start marketing ourselves this way, 10. and lastly, because we didn’t think it was THAT important to blog compared to the other things you can do to promote your business.
It is amazing how often we search for the evidence of why we shouldn’t do something because we are afraid of the unknown. The first step is recognizing the real reasons why we aren’t doing something and then come up with the reasons why you should. We say that if you can come up with your own top ten reasons why you should then DO IT!
Okay, so here it goes….. our top ten reasons why we should be blogging each week:
1. Blogging helps support & promote our DFW, Texas small businesses, trusted clients such as www.narylawfirm.com (who needs to find new clients each month, otherwise, he’ll go out of business due to the young high volume Dallas bankruptcy lawyers), www.cleanyoucansee.com, www.5starfloorcare.com, www.ecoshieldroofing.com (our newest roofing and construction client that really needs to start gaining online visibility fast), www.ntxphotobooth.com (awesome for corporate events & wedding entertainment in the Dallas, DFW areas), and many others on our premium online marketing program.
2. Others are blogging why shouldn’t we. Over the years we have read articles and blogs about various subjects & I am shocked at some of the things that individuals or small businesses will blog about. It has been mentioned in articles that a blogger should only write at a 9th grade reading level, however, we have noticed that there are blogs out there that seem geared to the much more educated. The point is that if blogs ranging from silly topics to snooze fest because it is too hard to follow are being written….. then why can’t G2web take the time to blog too! Who knows, we might start to be pretty interesting too.
3. Sharing knowledge can help “the do it yourselfers.” There are a lot of online marketing companies that spend the time sharing their knowledge & techniques little bits at a time. Some competitors might say as quoted on Saturday Night Live, “Don’t give away your pie it makes you look cheap!”, said by guest star Alex Baldwin. That’s great keep your secrets, but we like to think that helping others, whether SEO & Social Media do it your self type or a competitor looking for new ideas, we are given the chance to pay some of what we’ve learned over the years of research & study, forward. We are “in it to win it”, but have the confidence to be a good sport as well.
4. Researching to blog about certain subjects improves your game. When one blogs, one must do some research first. It is amazing the things you can “Google” and learn about in the areas of SEO, online marketing, blogging, web design etc…… For example, even to write this blog some research had to happen. The phrase “top ten reasons to blog” was searched & lots of interesting facts were learned a long the way. We didn’t want to repeat what was out there & come up with our own words and be creative in our thoughts so in order to be original, we needed to know what are some of the things already written. Reading other blogs, makes you a better blogger!!
5. Blogging can be a form of therapy or thinking out loud. Someone can blog about their personal experiences in the hopes that their share will touch another and possibly save a life or improve a person’s existence. There are articles and mini blogs written by Temple Grandin that has definitely touched and moved those with autism to the point that it saved lives. Others with autism would comment on the Dr.’s blogs telling the Dr. thank you for saving their life.
6. Blogging is a great way to show off your work. In other words, tell others about your business to build a level of trust. You can tell a great deal about a person or business by reading their blogs. Do they seem like they did their research and home work? Are they professional enough to handle your project, yet patient enough to work with you and your needs? Do they seem friendly or treat you like a number & just out to make money? Are they creative and would that carry over into their online marketing. Sure, the money is great, but do they love their job and would do it for free if they could. Lots of things to consider here.
7. The pros out weigh the cons. There are so many reasons why you or your company should blog that it doesn’t make sense to NOT blog. Hate to blog?? Or be on your computer?? There is great news for those who hate to blog, social media, online marketing, internet and computers ….. hire someone to do it for you. That is what our clients did. We do like to blog, so let someone with that kind of passion do it for you.
8. The search engines LIKE it. The great thing about a blog is that back links can be introduced, meta page titles created, tags and you have full analytics as opposed to Facebook and Twitter. Which, btw, if you read down this far, please go LIKE our FB page www.facebook.com/g2web we help promote and support our local DFW, Texas businesses. We LIKE to keep our Texas state strong.
9. Discovering the “didn’t know I didn’t know.” There are things you know you don’t know, such as we know we don’t know Russian but what about the things you don’t know you don’t know yet. If you think about it too long….. it probably doesn’t always make sense, so it is best to be self aware, look for ways to improve, don’t be afraid to face the unknowns and learn something new along the way. Having an open mind can be gold in the blogging world.
10. Blogging can provide feed back. We need a gauge or a way of knowing we are going in the right direction. If you blog with your comments on, it helps others to leave their thoughts and help teach a thing or two. We are pretty sure this blog has mistakes along the way. We don’t claim to be perfect spelling and grammar robots……. we are very human & we are “big” enough to mention it. It is in our hopes that “stupid spammers” stay away and don’t try to leave URL back links, but hey, that’s what the “trash it” and “spam it” links are for. We want to hear your top reason for blogging and what has been your excuse for not blogging. If you have no excuse and are already an extraordinary blogger, then please leave your URL so we can go check it out.
These are our top reasons to blog… what are yours? Are you stuck and don’t know where to start? We suggest starting with your reasons you haven’t been blogging (your excuses) and then come up with, in your own words, how your business would benefit if you blogged more often. Tell us how often you are going to blog and let us know each time you do. Let G2web be your accountability partner, we will read your blogs and make comments.